Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Little Fugue in G Minor

As promised, here is the first upload for this week: a transcription of Bach's "Little" Fugue in G Minor, BWV 578, for saxophone quartet.  This is one of Bach's most well-known works.  I kept the original key for this transcription (which means that the baritone sax should ideally have a low A key), but made a few editorial choices.  First, I was rather sparse with my trill markings, leaving additional trills up to the discretion of the performer.  My thought is that if you know Baroque music well enough to feel that it needs another trill here or there, you're welcome to add them.  The other editorial choice I made was to add some dynamic markings.  These can be seen as just suggestions, but I feel that they are appropriate and add some direction to the music.  Here's a link:

http://josiahbode.musicaneo.com/sheetmusic/sm-179230_fugue_bwv_578.html

In case you're wondering why I've been uploading mostly sax quartet music, there are a couple of reasons for that.  Saxophone is my primary instrument, so it makes sense that I would write for saxophones often.  But more than that, I currently lead a sax quartet at Concordia University, Saint Paul, so I have been writing specifically for that group lately.  If you're not a sax player, don't worry: the next couple of uploads will be for different instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment